Embracing and Extending OpenNMS

Let me start with a story. It’s a story of answering a simple question in the #fink irc channel. What was my answer? It doesn’t really matter. What matters is that I used “..\lib” in my response.

Why does it matter? OH GOD I JUST ACCIDENTALLY USED A BACKSLASH TO REPRESENT A PATH IN IRC!

That’s right, this week I’ve been in the Land Of Evil, working on porting OpenNMS to Windows. I’ve been so heads-down into it, I actually started thinking in backslashes even in a Mac OS X channel. Oh, the shame. <grin>

Anyways, it actually (surprisingly!) mostly works. The hardest part was porting jicmp, which required setting up a mingw environment and fixing our configure stuff in a lot of ways. And I’ve gotta say, libtool and I have had our differences in the past, but it performed beautifully at hiding the details of making a .dll file out of our code.

There’s still . . . → Read More: Embracing and Extending OpenNMS

Share on Facebook

Big Progress on KDE on Qt/Mac

So with a lot of help from Tanner Lovelace, I’ve now got pretty much all of kdelibs building with Qt/Mac. There’s still plenty of work to do, but this is a definite big step. libkdecore and libkdeui are probably the worst of the lot to get working, it should be mostly downhill from here. Patches updated as I get more built here. In related news, Peter O’Gorman updated his libtool patch to handle frameworks more gracefully, and passed it on to the libtool folks. Once that gets merged into libtool CVS, I’m going to ask about getting KDE’s libtool updated with all of the darwin fixes.

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook

Updated Package Dependencies

With drm’s help, I’ve cleaned up some of the package dependencies for KDE, and it looks like everything is set now. The bindist has been updated with 3.1.1 for those who do an apt-get update, so you no longer need to build KDE 3.1.1. KOffice and KDevelop still aren’t working right yet, I’m not sure when I’ll have a chance to look at it, but pogma thinks he may have some libtool fixes that will affect it. On a personal note, I finally bit the bullet and spent all of yesterday and half of today putting Windows 98se (ugh) back on my PC so I can run Impulse Tracker. Here’s to hoping it won’t be necessary for much longer.

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook

Newest Pogmified Libtool

I updated KDE to pogma’s latest libtool patches, the build-time issue with genembed in keramik went away (yay!) and all appears to be well. I’m building kdelibs3-ssl 3.1.1 right now (against a prerelease tarball) and have found what I think are the last of the build bugs in 3.1.1. He also added dyld support to libltdl, but I haven’t integrated it with kde’s personal version of it yet.

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook

Dropping the Gauntlet

So I just sent a big-ass e-mail to kde-core-devel about the libtool linking against -module thing, hopefully I get some kind of response back, if that can be solved, a huge amount of the KDE-Darwin patches can be undone. Cross your fingers!

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook

<burns type=”monty”>Excellent</burns>

With some help from Peter O’Gorman, I got KDE-Darwin’s admin/ tree updated to libtool 1.5 CVS — it’s building perfectly after one minor patch that has been sent upstream to the libtool folks, so in theory, if we can get KDE to update to 1.5 when it’s released, a large part of the darwin-specific patches won’t be needed! I’m double-checking the build right now, and if all looks good, I’ll see if I can get my (other) admin patches into KDE upstream tomorrow.

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook